3.27.2013

merrill's hard cider

a couple weeks ago, I scored some raw apple cider on the cheap from farnsworth cider mill which is a few blocks from my house. so, of course, I decided to ferment 5 gallons of it.
 I started by mixing the cider with 4lbs. of light brown sugar and dosed with campden tablets for about 36hrs to kill off any wild yeast.
 I made a starter of the wyeast cider using some light dme and part of the raw cider along with a bunch of yeast nutrient and energizer.
after the campdem tabs had time to work and settle out, I aerated the must and pitched the cider yeast. after a week in primary, the gravity had dropped to around 1.000, so I moved to secondary and let it give my berlinerweisse some company in one of the warmer rooms in the house.

-kris

0 comments:

baker's tap

  • NZ pale ale (?.?%abv)
  • kimosabe red (5.5%abv)
  • [primary] bunch of mead and cider
  • [secondary] bunch more mead and cider

merrill's tap

  • fender tremelo (7.1%abv)
  • gibson rickenbacker (6.49%abv)
  • IPA (6.7% abv)
  • {nitro} McFricker Stout (5.5%abv)
  • [secondary] merrill's hard cider
  • [gettin' sour] derBrynnerweisse

in the ferminator

  • nothingmaker :( (og0.000)

All Content Copyright 2011 Berrill Maker. Powered by Blogger.